Shirwell Community Primary School is a small village school situated in the heart of North Devon. Despite our size we represent a diverse and rich community. We are surrounded by countryside but located just four miles from Barnstaple, the largest town in the area. We are very privileged to be situated in such an area of outstanding natural beauty, on the edge of Exmoor but just a short drive from North Devon’s famous beaches and spectacular coastline.
The school itself accommodates 44 children in two classes:
- Class 1 : for the younger children – Reception, Year 1 and Year 2
- Class 2 : for the older children – Years 3 – 6
We use our environment whenever possible to enhance learning and we have a firm ethos of outdoor education. We have strong links with our local National Trust who own the vast woodland a short walk from the school.
AIMS OF OUR SCHOOL
The aims of our school have been agreed by staff, governors, parents and children.
Our School is a place where we shall provide the highest quality teaching to enable the children to become independent learners who reach their maximum potential.
Our School is a caring community based on friendship, respect and trust, where everyone is valued.
Our School is a place in which all members of the school community can thrive, regardless of race, religion, culture, gender or individual need.
Our School is a place where every child will be helped to reach personal success.
We achieve this by:
- fostering the physical, intellectual, moral and spiritual growth of each child;
- providing a rich, varied and rigorous curriculum with equal access for all our children;
- creating a happy and stimulating environment which enhances learning across the curriculum;
- involving the wider community in which we live to maintain a positive community spirit.